You are here: Home Prospective Students Degree Programs Master of Arts FAQ
Document Actions



Part-Time and Distance Studies

Q: Can I enroll in a master’s program on a part-time basis, e.g. participate in summer sessions over the holidays?

A: Our master’s programs are only available as full-time courses of study. Additionally, the academic year is made up of two semesters; there is no summer session or intersession. Therefore, part-time enrollment is not possible.

Q: Is it possible to take a master’s as an online degree?

A: No. We do not offer any online courses, and almost all classes have mandatory attendance.


Academic Reputation

Q: Will my degree from the University of Freiburg be recognized?

A: The University of Freiburg is an old, firmly established and top-ranking German university with a global reputation for academic excellence. Many professors are well known beyond Germany. Therefore, degrees awarded by the University of Freiburg enjoy high esteem everywhere. In addition, the University of Freiburg is a member of the Universitas 21 excellence network, an international network of leading research-intensive universities whose purpose is to facilitate collaboration and cooperation between the member universities and create entrepreneurial opportunities on a large scale.


Q: Do the Master of Arts programs prepare me well for a Ph.D. program?

A: Absolutely. For anyone wanting to stay in academia, a doctorate based on any of our master’s degrees is a natural next step.


Tuition and Ancillary Fees

Q: How much does a master’s program at the University of Freiburg cost?

A: All students must pay a student activity fee of €155 per semester. Residents of EU and EEA countries do not pay tuition but students from non-EU/EEA states are charged tuition fees of €1,500 per semester. Students pursuing a second M.A. degree must pay €650 per semester. (The fee for a second degree will not be levied if the student is already paying the non-EU tuition fee or if the first degree was obtained outside of Germany). This law came into effect starting in the 2017/18 winter semester. Read more details here.


Financial Aid

Q: Are there any loans, grants or scholarships available for master’s students?

A: The University of Freiburg doesn’t provide financial aid or many scholarships directly, but several options are available. The Deutschlandstipendium is awarded through the university to high-achieving students from around the world. DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) scholarships are great for international students, but must be applied for almost a year in advance (usually before you’ve even applied to a program). Many political, religious or research foundations offer scholarships to students from various backgrounds. You can find many of them in this database. Generally only German students are eligible for BAföG (federal financial aid), but other EU students may be eligible in special circumstances. As financial aid options may vary depending on your nationality, it is best for you to find out details on a case-by-case basis and in direct contact with Student Services Freiburg (Studierendenwerk), the DAAD, or the German embassy in your country of residence.


Accommodation Fees

Q: Can you tell me the exact cost for student accommodation in Freiburg?

A: Unfortunately, there is no straight answer to your question, because accommodation fees will vary depending on which option you choose (e.g. student residence; a shared apartment with other students; your own rental unit). The cheapest rooms in the student residences start at €225 per month, but rents in Freiburg tends to be significantly higher than this – you may be looking at up to €500 for a room in a shared apartment or house. Student Services Freiburg (Studierendenwerk) offers a lot of helpful information and several websites where you can find out more about different accommodation options and costs.


Working While Studying

Q: Is it possible to work, within or outside the university, while studying?

A: There are legal stipulations allowing students to work up to a maximum of 20 hours per week without having to pay social security contributions. Please note that students from non-EU/EFTA countries may only work a maximum of 120 full days or 240 half days per year. This limit does not apply to student assistant (HiWi) positions within the university.

Q: Can my spouse work in Germany while I am enrolled in a master’s program?

A: Yes, there are legal stipulations enabling students’ legal spouses who are non-EU citizens to obtain a work permit, allowing them to work a certain amount of hours. For spouses holding EU citizenship, there are no restrictions on working in Germany. As laws are subject to change, it is best for foreign students to check the details with the German embassy in their country of residence well before their departure.


English as Language of Instruction

Q: How many classes will be taught in English? I'm asking because I don’t think my German is good enough yet.

A: In the English Department’s master’s programs, all courses are taught in English, written coursework is submitted in English, and academic advising is offered in English as well. But please note: usually, students must have C1-level German to enroll at the University of Freiburg. Even though our department’s Master of Arts programs are excluded from the C1 level German requirement, studying in Freiburg will no doubt be a lot easier for you if your command of German is good (e.g. be aware of the fact not all university administrative staff are able to speak English). The university’s Language Teaching Centre (SLI) offers German language classes before the start of every semester as well as throughout the semester.

Personal tools